Welcome to the School of Computer Science
The School of Computer Science is a centre of excellence for computer science teaching and research, with staff and students from Scotland and all parts of the world. It is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance.
We offer BSc, MSci, MSc, MPhil and PhD degree programmes, and are active in research in the fundamentals of computer science, networking and distributed systems, artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, and software systems engineering.
If you are thinking about studying at St Andrews, you are very welcome to come and visit us to see for yourself. There are visiting days on Wednesdays throughout the year.
- PhD Viva Success: C. J. Davies
- Congratulations to CJ Davies, who successfully defended his thesis today. CJ is pictured below with supervisor Dr Alan Miller and Dr Luke Hutton. Dr I [...]
- Computer Science supports Macmillan
- The School had another successful Coffee Morning and Raffle organised by Ishbel Duncan today. September 25th is the UK’s annual biggest coffee morni [...]
- Academic Skills Project 2015/16
- Adeola Fabola (one of our PhD students) is coordinating the Academic Skills Project (ASP) in the School of Computer Science for the 2015/2016 session. [...]
- Professor Ian Miguel’s Inaugural Lecture
- Staff and students from the School of Computer Science attended Prof. Ian Miguel’s Inaugural Lecture in St Salvator’s Quadrangle yesterday evening [...]
- Aleksejs Sazonovs: Undergraduate Awards Success
- Congratulations to our recent graduate Aleksejs Sazonovs who accomplished overall winner in the 2015 Undergraduate Awards for Computer Science yesterd [...]
- MacMillan Coffee Morning
- Thanks to all those who baked, donated and ate. We raised £142 for MacMillan Cancer Support.
- Computer Science 2015: Orientation and Welcome
- After a busy week of induction and module talks, staff and students are pictured during orientation and welcome receptions. Undergraduate students wer [...]
Ongoing and future events
- Seminar: ‘Formalizing Garbage: Mathematical Models of Memory Management’ by Jeremy Singer next week
- Seminar, Talk: 6th Oct 2015 at 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (in Cole 1.33a) School Seminar Series Abstract: Garbage collection is no longer an esoteric research interest. Mainstream programming languages like Java and C# rely on high-performance me [...]
- Seminar: ‘Measuring Personalization of Online Services’ by Alan Mislove
- Seminar: 13th Oct 2015 at 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (in Cole 1.33a) The School of Computer Science is delighted to welcome Alan Mislove from Northeastern University Boston to give his talk on ‘Measuring Personali [...]
- Talk: ‘This is a Google Talk’ – by James Smith
- Talk: 13th Oct 2015 at 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm (in Cole 1.33) The School of Computer Science is pleased to welcome back one of its former PhD students, James Smith, who is currently Google Product Manager, London [...]
- Undergraduate visiting day
- Visiting Day: 14th Oct 2015 at 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm Prospective undergraduates are welcomed to the School of Computer Science for an undergraduate visiting day.
- Seminar: ‘Financial Applications of Natural Language Processing’ by Ketevan Tsereteli
- Seminar: 20th Oct 2015 at 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (in Cole 1.33a) School Seminar Series Abstract: Automatically processing documents to uncover insights is extremely valuable in the low latency environment of the finance industry. The sen [...]