Welcome to the School of Computer Science
The first degree in Computer Science was awarded in 1971 in the University of St Andrews. Today, the School of Computer Science is a centre of excellence for computer science teaching and research, with staff and students from Scotland and all parts of the world. It is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance. You can find our alumni across the world in industry and academia. The School moved into the purpose-built Jack Cole and the refurbished John Honey buildings in 2004, which we are regularly updating with new labs and new teaching spaces.
We offer BSc, MSci, MSc, MPhil, PhD, and EngD degree programmes, and are active in research in the fundamentals of computer science, networking and distributed systems, artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, and software systems engineering. Part of each academic year is our Distinguished Lecture Seminar series, which is approaching its 50th anniversary in 2019.
If you are thinking about studying at St Andrews, you are very welcome to come and visit us to see for yourself. There are visiting days on Wednesdays throughout the year. If you are one of our Alumni please visit our Alumni site for alumni stories and more.
- Graduation November 2016
- Congratulations to the Masters Class of 2016, and PhD students Dr Vinodh Sampath and Dr Oche Ejembi, who graduated last month. Each year, students are [...]
- Alexander Konovalov: Certified Software and Data Carpentry Instructor
- Congratulations to Alexander Konovalov who has just completed the instructor training course and subsequent assignments and is now certified to teach [...]
- CodeFirst:Girls Final presentations Fall 2016
- Congratulations to our St Andrews Computer Science Code First Girls, for completing the Fall 2016 course, and staging their final projects. Students a [...]
- Distinguished Lecture Series 2016: Prof. Julie McCann
- Earlier this month Professor Julie McCann from Imperial College London, delivered the next set of distinguished lectures for 2016, in Lower and Upper [...]
- Arkwright Awards for budding young engineers
- On Friday 11 November 2016, Professor Saleem Bhatti was the principal guest of the Arkwright Scholarship Trust, as principal speaker and presenter at [...]
Ongoing and future events
- Event: ‘Space School’ – Save the date
- Workshop: 22nd Apr 2017 (in Honey 110 - John Honey Teachin [...]) Details to follow.