All applications are considered individually and the grades below are the minimum level which is likely to be requested. Other factors, however, are also taken into account in the admissions process and we do not guarantee acceptance on the basis of grades alone. Contact us to discuss any alternative combinations of qualifications. Note that you must also meet the entry requirements for the Faculty of Science.
Conventional Entry to First Year
The normal requirements for entry in 2014 to any of our single or joint degrees are as follows:
Standard Grade and Higher
- Grade 2 at Standard Grade in English and Maths, plus:
- AAAB at Higher, including Maths
GCSE and A-Level
- Grade B at GCSE in English and Maths, plus:
- AAB at A-Level (excluding General Studies), including Maths
- Score of 35, including:
- Standard level pass in English, plus:
- 5 in HL Maths or 6 in SL Maths, plus:
- Three 6s at Higher level including one Science subject [*]
We are pleased to consider applications from mature candidates with other qualifications, such as HND or BTEC. Note that you will need to meet our post-16 Mathematics requirement (e.g., a B or higher in the Scottish Higher or A-level, or a 5 in HL Maths or a 6 in SL Maths in the IB), and this is not met by an HND or BTEC on its own. Please contact us to arrange a talk with our admissions officer.
Direct Entry to Second Year
It is possible for well-qualified applicants with an appropriate academic background to apply for admission directly into the second year of our degree programmes. A tailored and accelerated programme for second-year entrants permits a BSc Honours degree to be obtained in three years instead of four. Applicants considering this route should bear in mind that entry into second year does reduce the flexibility of choice which is normally found within the Scottish four-year Honours degree. If you are interested in direct second-year entry, please contact us.
Minimum entry requirements:
- AB at Advanced Higher in Maths and a Science subject [*], plus AB at Higher in two other subjects
- AAB at A-Level (excluding General Studies), including Maths and a Science subject [*]
- 36 at IB, including 6 in HL or 7 in SL in both Maths and a science subject [*], and in total three 6s at HL
[*] A Science subject is defined as one of those required for Faculty of Science entry: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geography, Geology, Physics or Psychology. Other subjects may also be considered: please contact us to discuss.
Gateway to Computer Science
The Gateway to Computer Science is a new programme to provide opportunity to entry for applicants who cannot meet our standard asking rates due to social or educational disadvantage. The programme is targeted primarily at Scottish students and offers are in the range of BBBB-AABB in Scottish Highers, including Maths. More details can be found on the Gateway programme page.