Welcome to the School of Computer Science
The first degree in Computer Science at St Andrews was awarded in 1971. Today, the School of Computer Science is a centre of excellence for computer science teaching and research, with staff and students from Scotland and all parts of the world. It is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance. You can find our alumni across the world in industry and academia. The School moved into the purpose-built Jack Cole and the refurbished John Honey buildings in 2004, which we are regularly updating with new labs and new teaching spaces.
We offer BSc, MSci, MSc, MPhil, MSc (Res), PhD, and EngD degree programmes, and are active in research in the fundamentals of computer science, networking and distributed systems, artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, and software systems engineering. Part of each academic year is our Distinguished Lecture Seminar series, which is approaching its 50th anniversary in 2019.
If you are thinking about studying at St Andrews, you are very welcome to come and visit us to see for yourself. There are visiting days on Wednesdays throughout the year. If you are one of our Alumni please visit our Alumni site for alumni stories and more.
- Prizes for Haifa Al Nasseri
- At the Cyber Academy’s International Conference on Big Data in Cyber Security on May 10 2017 at Edinburgh Napier’s Craiglockhart Campus, P [...]
- PhD viva success: Yuchen Zhao
- Congratulations to Yuchen, who successfully defended his thesis yesterday. He is pictured with supervisors Dr Tristan Henderson and Dr Juan Ye, Intern [...]
- Alex Bain completes 2017 London Marathon
- Congratulations to School Manager Alex Bain, who completed the London Marathon again this year, raising funds for Guide Dogs. Alex, runner no 40807 is [...]
- MPhil viva sucess: Yunjia Wang
- Congratulations to Yunjia Wang, who successfully defended his thesis today. He is pictured with Internal examiner Dr Alice Toniolo and Supervisor Dr I [...]
- Senior Honours: Poster Presentation and Demo Session 2017
- Our talented hard working SH students from CS4099: Major Software Project and CS4098: Minor Software Project presented their posters and final year so [...]
- Hot off the press: Type-Driven Development with Idris
- A new book, Type-Driven Development with Idris has just been published by Manning Publications. Written by Dr Edwin Brady, the creator of Idris, Type- [...]
- Alex runs London Marathon 2017 for Guide Dogs
- Alex Bain will be running the London Marathon again this year, raising funds for Guide Dogs. He is holding a fundraising bake sale in the department t [...]
- Translational Research into Common Psychiatric Disorders, Professor Douglas Steele, Professor of Neuroimaging / Consultant Psychiatrist, University of Dundee
- Colloquium, Seminar, Talk: 24th Apr 2017 at 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (in Cole 1.33a) Translational Neuroimaging Based Psychiatric Research Computational methods are having a considerable influence on contemporary neuroscience research: [...]
- Workshop on Considering Technology through a Philosophical Lens
- Workshop: 18th May 2017 at 10:00 am to 1:00 pm (in Cole 1.33a) Technology fundamentally shapes our communication, relationships, and access to information. It also evolves through our interaction with it. Dialogui [...]
- SRG Seminar: New Network Functionality using ILNPv6 and DNS by Khawar Shehzad
- Seminar: 18th May 2017 at 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm (in Cole 1.33b) Systems Seminars Series This research deals with the introduction of a new network functionality based on Identifier-Locator Network Protocol version 6 (ILNPv6), and Domain [...]