Welcome to the School of Computer Science
The first degree in Computer Science was awarded in 1971 in the University of St Andrews. Today, the School of Computer Science is a centre of excellence for computer science teaching and research, with staff and students from Scotland and all parts of the world. It is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance. You can find our alumni across the world in industry and academia. The School moved into the purpose-built Jack Cole and the refurbished John Honey buildings in 2004, which we are regularly updating with new labs and new teaching spaces.
We offer BSc, MSci, MSc, MPhil, PhD, and EngD degree programmes, and are active in research in the fundamentals of computer science, networking and distributed systems, artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, and software systems engineering. Part of each academic year is our Distinguished Lecture Seminar series, which is approaching its 50th anniversary in 2019.
If you are thinking about studying at St Andrews, you are very welcome to come and visit us to see for yourself. There are visiting days on Wednesdays throughout the year. If you are one of our Alumni please visit our Alumni site for alumni stories and more.
- Best poster award: Sidetap and Slingshot Gestures on Unmodified Smartwatches
- Congratulations to Hui-Shyong Yeo, Professor Aaron Quigley and colleagues, who won best poster at UIST2016. Their paper Sidetap and Slingshot Gestures [...]
- Royal Television Society Bursary: Henry Hargreaves
- Congratulations to Henry, one of our second year students, who secured a Royal Television Society bursary. The bursary scheme is supported by a cross [...]
- RadarCat presented at UIST2016
- SACHI research project RadarCat (Radar Categorization for Input & Interaction), highlighted earlier this year in the University news, the Courier [...]
- Computer Science hosts Hack the Bubble
- Earlier this month the School hosted hack the Bubble, a 12-hour hackathon organized by STACS, the St Andrews Computing Society and sponsored by J.P. M [...]
- Acacia – The Smart Image Compressor
- Today we are releasing Acacia – a machine learning enabled image compressor developed here in the School of Computer Science at the University o [...]
- Tristan Henderson appointed to Editorial Board of ACM Books
- Dr Tristan Henderson has been appointed to the Editorial Board of ACM Books, to serve as the Area Editor for Networking and Communications. ACM Books [...]
- PhD Viva success: Oche Ejembi
- Congratulations to Oche Ejembi who successfully defended his thesis today. He is pictured below with supervisor Professor Saleem Bhatti, internal exam [...]
Ongoing and future events
- Undergraduate visiting day today
- Visiting Day: 26th Oct 2016 at 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm Prospective undergraduates are welcomed to the School of Computer Science for an undergraduate visiting day.
- Multi-modal Indoor Positioning: Trends and Challenges by Prof. Niki Trigoni, Oxford University
- Seminar, Talk: 8th Nov 2016 at 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (in Cole 1.33) School Seminar Series Abstract: GPS has enabled a number of location based services outdoors, but the problem of localisation remains open in GPS-denied environments, such [...]
- Undergraduate visiting day
- Visiting Day: 16th Nov 2016 at 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm Prospective undergraduates are welcomed to the School of Computer Science for an undergraduate visiting day.
- Event: ‘Space School’ – Save the date
- Workshop: 22nd Apr 2017 (in Honey 110 - John Honey Teachin [...]) Details to follow.