Welcome to the School of Computer Science
The first degree in Computer Science was awarded in 1971 in the University of St Andrews. Today, the School of Computer Science is a centre of excellence for computer science teaching and research, with staff and students from Scotland and all parts of the world. It is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance. You can find our alumni across the world in industry and academia. The School moved into the purpose-built Jack Cole and the refurbished John Honey buildings in 2004, which we are regularly updating with new labs and new teaching spaces.
We offer BSc, MSci, MSc, MPhil, MSc (Res), PhD, and EngD degree programmes, and are active in research in the fundamentals of computer science, networking and distributed systems, artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, and software systems engineering. Part of each academic year is our Distinguished Lecture Seminar series, which is approaching its 50th anniversary in 2019.
If you are thinking about studying at St Andrews, you are very welcome to come and visit us to see for yourself. There are visiting days on Wednesdays throughout the year. If you are one of our Alumni please visit our Alumni site for alumni stories and more.
- Team NOMAD win IDEA Explosion 2017
- Congratulations to PhD students Shyam Reyal and Simone Conte , from Computer Science and Senior Scientific Officer Tomas Lebl, from Chemistry who pres [...]
- PhD viva success: Anne-Marie Mann
- Congratulations to Anne-Marie Mann, who successfully defended her thesis yesterday. She is pictured with Internal examiner Dr Colin Allison and extern [...]
- School of Computer Science – PhD Scholarships
- The School of Computer Science at the University of St Andrews offers funding for up to six students to undertake PhD research starting in the Fall of [...]
- PhD Viva success: Ildiko Pete
- Congratulations to Ildiko Pete, who successfully defended her thesis today. She is pictured below with supervisor Dr Dharini Balasubramaniam, Internal [...]
- EPSRC Grant Success: A Constraint Modelling Pipeline
- Congratulations to colleagues Professor Ian Miguel, Dr Chris Jefferson, Dr Tom Kelsey, Professor Ian Gent and Dr Peter Nightingale, who have secured a [...]
- PhD Viva success: Oche Ejembi
- Congratulations to Oche Ejembi who successfully defended his thesis today. He is pictured below with supervisor Professor Saleem Bhatti, internal exam [...]
Ongoing and future events
- DLS: Algorithms for healthcare-related matching problems next week
- Distinguished lecture: 31st Mar 2017 at 9:15 am to 3:30 pm (in Lower College Hall) Distinguished Lectures Series Algorithms for healthcare-related matching problems Distinguished Lecture Series, Semester 2, 2016-7 David Manlove School of Computing Science, Univer [...]
- SACHI Seminar: Dr Hagen Lehmann – Social interaction characteristics for socially acceptable robots
- Seminar: 3rd Apr 2017 at 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (in Cole 1.33a) Title: Social interaction characteristics for socially acceptable robots Abstract: The last decade has seen fast advances in Social Robotic Technology [...]
- Event: ‘Space School’ – Save the date
- Workshop: 22nd Apr 2017 (in Honey 110 - John Honey Teachin [...]) Details to follow.