Welcome to the School of Computer Science
The first degree in Computer Science at St Andrews was awarded in 1971. Today, the School of Computer Science is a centre of excellence for computer science teaching and research, with staff and students from Scotland and all parts of the world. It is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance. You can find our alumni across the world in industry and academia. The School moved into the purpose-built Jack Cole and the refurbished John Honey buildings in 2004, which we are regularly updating with new labs and new teaching spaces.
We offer BSc, MSci, MSc, MPhil, MSc (Res), PhD, and EngD degree programmes, and are active in research in the fundamentals of computer science, networking and distributed systems, artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, and software systems engineering. Part of each academic year is our Distinguished Lecture Seminar series, which is approaching its 50th anniversary in 2019.
If you are thinking about studying at St Andrews, you are very welcome to come and visit us to see for yourself. There are visiting days on Wednesdays throughout the year. If you are one of our Alumni please visit our Alumni site for alumni stories and more.
- DHSI Seminar Series
- The school of Physics & Astronomy (Room 222) are hosting our next Digital Health Seminar 12.00pm – Lunch 12.20pm – Isla Rose & Mar [...]
- Graduation Reception June 2018
- Congratulations to our Senior Honours Class of 2018, MSci Honours students and our PhD students Dr Adam Barwell, Dr Martin McCaffery, Dr Gonzalo Mende [...]
- PhD viva success: Adeola Fabola
- Congratulations to Adeola Fabola, who successfully defended his thesis today. He is pictured with supervisor Dr Alan Millar, Internal examiner Dr Coli [...]
- PhD viva success: Daniel Rough
- Congratulations to Daniel Rough, who successfully defended his thesis today. He is pictured with supervisor Professor Aaron Quigley, Internal examiner [...]
- PhD viva success: Chris Schwaab
- Congratulations to Chris Schwaab, who successfully defended his thesis yesterday. He is pictured with supervisor Dr Edwin Brady, Internal examiner Dr [...]
- PhD viva success: Franck Slama
- Congratulations to Franck Slama, who successfully defended his thesis yesterday. He is pictured with supervisor Dr Edwin Brady, Internal examiner Dr S [...]
- IDIR Summer Workshop 2018
- The St Andrews Institute for Data-Intensive Research (IDIR) was set up in September 2014 to provide a focus for research and teaching activities acros [...]
Ongoing and future events
- Fable-based Learning: Seminar by Prof Jimmy Lee tomorrow
- Seminar: 21st Aug 2018 at 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm (in Cole 1.33b) CUHK + UniMelb = Fable-based Learning + A Tale of Two Cities Prof Jimmy Lee, Chinese University of Hong Kong This talk reports on the pedagogical inno [...]