Welcome to the School of Computer Science
The first degree in Computer Science at St Andrews was awarded in 1971. Today, the School of Computer Science is a centre of excellence for computer science teaching and research, with staff and students from Scotland and all parts of the world. It is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance. You can find our alumni across the world in industry and academia. The School moved into the purpose-built Jack Cole and the refurbished John Honey buildings in 2004, which we are regularly updating with new labs and new teaching spaces.
We offer BSc, MSci, MSc, MPhil, MSc (Res), PhD, and EngD degree programmes, and are active in research in the fundamentals of computer science, networking and distributed systems, artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, and software systems engineering. Part of each academic year is our Distinguished Lecture Seminar series, which is approaching its 50th anniversary in 2019.
If you are thinking about studying at St Andrews, you are very welcome to come and visit us to see for yourself. There are visiting days on Wednesdays throughout the year. If you are one of our Alumni please visit our Alumni site for alumni stories and more.
- PhD viva success: Franck Slama new
- Congratulations to Franck Slama, who successfully defended his thesis yesterday. He is pictured with supervisor Dr Edwin Brady, Internal examiner Dr S [...]
- IDIR Summer Workshop 2018 new
- The St Andrews Institute for Data-Intensive Research (IDIR) was set up in September 2014 to provide a focus for research and teaching activities acros [...]
- Ubiquitous User Interfaces by Aaron Quigley in the University of Lleida, Spain
- In the context of “User Centred Design” course, Professor Quigley delivered a series of lectures on Ubiquitous User Interfaces in the University o [...]
- Graduation Reception: Wednesday 27th June 2018
- The School of Computer Science, will be hosting a graduation reception on Wednesday 27th June, in the Jack Cole building, between 10.30 and 12.30. Gra [...]
- User-Centred Interaction Design
- Students undertaking CS5042 User Centred Interaction Design were pictured prototyping their design ideas during creative thinking, and hands-on sessio [...]
- Senior Honours Poster and Demo Sessions
- Our talented Senior Honours students are pictured presenting posters and software artefacts to second markers, interested staff and students last week [...]
- Junior Honours: Software Team Project 2017
- Earlier today our hard working Junior Honours students presented their Team Projects. The projects involve substantial team based software engineering [...]
Ongoing and future events
- SACHI Seminar: Alessio Malizia – User Experience: a step towards Natural User Interfaces.
- Seminar: 7th Jun 2018 at 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (in Cole 1.33a) Title: User Experience: a step towards Natural User Interfaces. Abstract: The road to natural interfaces is still long and we are now witnessing an [...]