Welcome to the School of Computer Science
The first degree in Computer Science at St Andrews was awarded in 1971. Today, the School of Computer Science is a centre of excellence for computer science teaching and research, with staff and students from Scotland and all parts of the world. It is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance. You can find our alumni across the world in industry and academia. The School moved into the purpose-built Jack Cole and the refurbished John Honey buildings in 2004, which we are regularly updating with new labs and new teaching spaces.
We offer BSc, MSci, MSc, MPhil, MSc (Res), PhD, and EngD degree programmes, and are active in research in the fundamentals of computer science, networking and distributed systems, artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, and software systems engineering. Part of each academic year is our Distinguished Lecture Seminar series, which is approaching its 50th anniversary in 2019.
If you are thinking about studying at St Andrews, you are very welcome to come and visit us to see for yourself. There are visiting days on Wednesdays throughout the year. If you are one of our Alumni please visit our Alumni site for alumni stories and more.
- Professor Aaron Quigley new SICSA Director
- Congratulations to Professor Aaron Quigley who has been appointed as the new Director of SICSA. Aaron, the Chair of Human Computer Interaction co-foun [...]
- Alex Bain completes 2019 London Marathon
- Congratulations to School Manager Alex Bain, who completed the London Marathon for the fourth time on Sunday, raising funds for Guide Dogs. Alex, runn [...]
- PhD viva success: Juan Jose Mendoza Santana
- Congratulations to Juan Jose Mendoza Santana, who successfully defended his thesis last week. He is pictured with Internal examiner Dr Edwin Brady, su [...]
- PhD viva success: Evan Brown
- Congratulations to Evan Brown, who successfully defended his thesis today. He is pictured with Internal examiner Dr Tristan Henderson and external exa [...]
- Continued success for MSc student Jessica Cooper
- The work of our MSc student, Jessica Cooper, supervised by Oggie Arandjelovic on the use of deep learning for the analysis of ancient Roman coins has [...]
- Best paper finalist award for Xingzhi Yue and Neofytos Dimitriou
- A paper describing the work of our MSc student Xingzhi Yue and PhD student Neofytos Dimitriou, supervised by Oggie Arandjelovic and in collaboration w [...]
- Distinguished Lecture Series: Formal Approaches to Quantitative Evaluation
- Biography: Jane Hillston was appointed Professor of Quantitative Modelling in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh in 2006, having [...]
Ongoing and future events
- Graduation Reception: Wednesday 26th June
- graduation: 26th Jun 2019 at 11:00 am to 1:00 pm (in Cole Coffee Area) The School of Computer Science will host a graduation reception on Wednesday 26th June, in the Jack Cole building, between 11.00 and 13.00. Graduating [...]