We are a top-class group of researchers with interests in a wide range of areas of theoretical and practical computer science. All our academic staff are research active, working with a team of post-graduate and post-doctoral researchers and a lively population of research students. See our directory of staff and research students.
Our research focuses on core themes of theoretical and practical computer science:
- Artificial intelligence and symbolic computation including constraint programming, computational algebra and computational logic and natural language processing, image processing and robotics.
- Networked and distributed systems including distributed and autonomic systems, middleware, network design and architecture, wireless and sensor networks, performance measurement and distributed learning environments.
- Systems engineering including software architecture and cloud computing.
- Human Computer Interaction including pervasive and ubiquitous computing, input and output technologies, intelligent interactive systems and visualisation .
- Programming languages with an emphasis on type systems and parallelism in functional programming languages.
The School is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance.
We have research support from a range of funding bodies including the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), the European Commission and Industry.
Search Publications from the School of Computer Science
See also: completed Computer Science PhD theses.