We are a top-class group of researchers with interests in a wide range of areas of theoretical and practical computer science.
All our academic staff are research active, working with a team of post-graduate and post-doctoral researchers and a lively population of research students.
See our directory of staff and research students.
Our research focuses on core themes of theoretical and practical computer science:
- Artificial intelligence and symbolic computation including constraint programming, computational algebra and computational logic and natural language processing, image processing and robotics.
- Computer systems including cloud computing and distributed systems, next-generation internet, sensor systems, pervasive systems and data linkage analysis.
- Human Computer Interaction including pervasive and ubiquitous computing, input and output technologies, intelligent interactive systems and visualisation.
- Programming languages with an emphasis on type systems and parallelism in functional programming languages.
- Health Informatics focusing on biomedical models, hypotheses, and systems for future biomedical research projects using data from both studies and simulations.
The School is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance.
We have research support from a range of funding bodies including the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), the European Commission and Industry.
All School publications are published via the University of St Andrews Research Portal.
Search Publications from the School of Computer Science
See also: completed Computer Science PhD theses.
Yu, T, Feng, B, Stillwell, M, Guo, L, Ma, Y & Thomson, JD
2018, Lattice-based scheduling for multi-FPGA systems
. in Proceedings of the International Conference on Field-Programmable Technology 2018, Naha, Okinawa, Japan.
IEEE Press, International Conference on Field-Programmable Technology (FPT'18), Naha, Okinawa, Japan, 10/12/18
Kocak, G, Akgun, O, Miguel, IJ & Nightingale, PW
2018, Closed frequent itemset mining with arbitrary side constraints
. in 2018 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM).
IEEE Computer Society, Workshop on Optimization Based Techniques for Emerging Data Mining Problems (OEDM 2018), Sentosa Island, Singapore, 17/11/18
Calder, M, Dobson, S
, Fisher, M & McCann, J 2018, 'Making sense of the world: framing models for trustworthy sensor-driven systems
, vol. 7, no. 4, 62. DOI: 10.3390/computers7040062
Li, L, Yu, T, Zhao, W, Fu, H, Wang, C, Tan, L, Yang, G & Thomson, J
2018, Large-scale hierarchical k-means for heterogeneous many-core supercomputers
. in Proceedings of the International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis (SC '18).
IEEE Press, Piscataway, The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis, Dallas, United States, 11/11/18
Goudie, C, Chaves, K, Arandjelovic, O, Williams, W & Blaikie, A
2018, 'CREATION OF WIDE FIELD RETINAL IMAGES FROM NARROW FIELD VIDEO ACQUIRED BY AN ARCLIGHT DIRECT OPHTHALMOSCOPE
' Clinical and experimental ophthalmology
, vol. 46, pp. 116-116.