We are a top-class group of researchers with interests in a wide range of areas of theoretical and practical computer science.
All our academic staff are research active, working with a team of post-graduate and post-doctoral researchers and a lively population of research students.
See our directory of staff and research students.
Our research focuses on core themes of theoretical and practical computer science:
- Artificial intelligence and symbolic computation including constraint programming, computational algebra and computational logic and natural language processing, image processing and robotics.
- Computer systems including cloud computing and distributed systems, next-generation internet, sensor systems, pervasive systems and data linkage analysis.
- Human Computer Interaction including pervasive and ubiquitous computing, input and output technologies, intelligent interactive systems and visualisation.
- Programming languages with an emphasis on type systems and parallelism in functional programming languages.
- Health Informatics focusing on biomedical models, hypotheses, and systems for future biomedical research projects using data from both studies and simulations.
The School is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance.
We have research support from a range of funding bodies including the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), the European Commission and Industry.
All School publications are published via the University of St Andrews Research Portal.
Search Publications from the School of Computer Science
See also: completed Computer Science PhD theses.
Vasilchenko, A, Wilde, AG
, Snow, S, Balaam, M & Devlin, M 2018, 'Video coursework: opportunity and challenge for HCI education
' Paper presented at International Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces, Castiglione della Pescaia, Grosseto, Italy, 29/05/18
, . DOI: 10.1145/3206505.3206596
Sufi, S, Duckles, B, Simera, I, Nurmikko-Fuller, T, Bellis, L, Miah, W, Wilde, AG
, Nenadic, A & Silva, R 2018, 'Ten simple rules for measuring the impact of workshops
' PLoS Computational Biology
, vol 18, no. 35.
, McCreesh, C, Miguel, IJ
, Moore, N, Nightingale, PW
, Prosser, P & Unsworth, C 2018, 'A review of literature on parallel constraint solving
' Theory and Practice of Logic Programming
Abbara, A, Vuong, LN, Ho, VNA, Clarke, SA, Jeffers, L, Comninos, AN, Salim, R, Ho, TM, Kelsey, TW
, Trew, GH, Humaiden, P & Dhillo, WS 2018, 'Follicle size on day of trigger most likely to yield a mature oocyte
' Frontiers in Endocrinology
, vol 9, 193. DOI: 10.3389/fendo.2018.00193
, Vasilchenko, A & Dix, A 2018, 'HCI and the educational technology revolution #HCIEd2018: A workshop on video-making for teaching and learning human-computer interaction
' International Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces, Castiglione della Pescaia, Grosseto, Italy, 29/05/18
, . DOI: 10.1145/3206505.3206600
Thudt, A, Hinrichs, U
, Huron, S & Carpendale, S 2018, Self-reflection and personal physicalization construction
. in Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI'18).
, 154, ACM, New York, NY, ACM CHI 2018 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Montréal, Canada, 21/04/18
. DOI: 10.1145/3173574.3173728