We are a top-class group of researchers with interests in a wide range of areas of theoretical and practical computer science.
All our academic staff are research active, working with a team of post-graduate and post-doctoral researchers and a lively population of research students.
See our directory of staff and research students.
Our research focuses on core themes of theoretical and practical computer science:
- Artificial intelligence and symbolic computation including constraint programming, computational algebra and computational logic and natural language processing, image processing and robotics.
- Computer systems including cloud computing and distributed systems, next-generation internet, sensor systems, pervasive systems and data linkage analysis.
- Human Computer Interaction including pervasive and ubiquitous computing, input and output technologies, intelligent interactive systems and visualisation.
- Programming languages with an emphasis on type systems and parallelism in functional programming languages.
- Health Informatics focusing on biomedical models, hypotheses, and systems for future biomedical research projects using data from both studies and simulations.
The School is a member of SICSA - The Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance.
We have research support from a range of funding bodies including the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), the European Commission and Industry.
All School publications are published via the University of St Andrews Research Portal.
Search Publications from the School of Computer Science
See also: completed Computer Science PhD theses.
Abbara, A, Islam, R, Clarke, SA, Jeffers, L, Christopoulos, G, Comninos, AN, Salim, R, Lavery, SA, Vuong, TNL, Humaidan, P, Kelsey, TW
, Trew, GH & Dhillo, WS 2018, 'Clinical parameters of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) following different triggers of oocyte maturation in IVF treatment
' Clinical Endocrinology
, vol Early View. DOI: 10.1111/cen.13569
Akgün, Ö, Dearle, A, Kirby, GNC
& Christen, P 2018, Using metric space indexing for complete and efficient record linkage
. in Advances in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.
Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence), Springer, 22nd Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Melbourne, Australia, 3/06/18
lee, JU, Yeo, HS, Starner, T, Quigley, AJ
, Kunze, KA & Woo, WO 2018, Automated data gathering and training tool for personalized "Itchy Nose"
. in AH '18 Proceedings of the 9th Augmented Human International Conference.
, 43, ACM, New York, 9th Augmented Human International Conference, Seoul, Korea, Democratic People's Republic of, 7/02/18
. DOI: 10.1145/3174910.3174953
Stubseid, S & Arandelovic, O
2018, Machine learning based prediction of consumer purchasing decisions: the evidence and its significance
. in Thirty-Second AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence: February 2-7, 2018, New Orleans, Louisiana.
AAAI Press, Palo Alto, Thirty-Second AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, New Orleans, United States, 2/02/18
Castro, D, Hammond, K, Sarkar, S
& Alguwaifli, Y 2018, 'Automatically deriving cost models for structured parallel processes using hylomorphisms
' Future Generation Computer Systems
, vol 79, no. Part 2, pp. 653-668. DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2017.04.035
Stypka, J, Turek, W, Byrski, A, Kisiel-Dorohinicki, M, Barwell, AD, Brown, CM, Hammond, K & Janjic, V
2018, 'The Missing Link! A new skeleton for evolutionary multi-agent systems in Erlang
' International Journal of Parallel Programming
, vol 46, no. 1, pp. 4-22. DOI: 10.1007/s10766-017-0503-4